EXTREME FAULTINESS (45)

1 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-20 08:03 ID:tRr2o9gf [Del]

1. CAPTCHA
  2. IDs
  3. WTF 1 & 2

2 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-20 08:14 ID:sdUt3sBW [Del]

I guess I agree with #1 to a point. I could deal with how swfchan only has you fill out a captcha only the 5th time you make a post (or access a file). Who knows if s6 is able to program in an alternative to a captcha that still curbs the spam, this currently is almost a default kaherah install.

What's wrong with IDs? I know some textboards have them and some that don't. I can't see it being a huge problem.

3 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-20 10:16 ID:sdUt3sBW [Del]

Just found this but here is an example of why you want something like a captcha in order to post http://bbs.freech.net/txt/, unless you want something like anonymous accounts instead.

4 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-20 17:46 ID:Du+zvJfn [Del]

>>2
>What's wrong with IDs?
It's hard to be sure. All that is clear is that their presence ruins a board entirely. Even 4Chan's /b/ has IDs added sometimes as punishment, meaning their addition can even make /b/ worse. Remove IDs and CAPTCHA or perish is the reality of textboards.

5 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-20 17:55 ID:iXPXW4yj [Del]

>>4
I'm not at all against removing IDs, although I do find them useful for conversations.

Captcha I tend to like, spam tends to be an issue and one I don't feel like dealing with in extreme numbers. If I can think up a nifty alternative I'll be sure to implement it. Don't like accounts even if they are anonymous, that's more trouble than a captcha for sure.

6 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-20 18:39 ID:sdUt3sBW [Del]

>>4

>All that is clear is that their presence ruins a board entirely.

Really? Well I haven't seen /dqn/ or any other of 4-ch's boards ruined because of IDs. Neither has world2ch hideout been ruined. Maybe on imageboards they ruin the board a bit, since people can sometimes get a word as their ID and I remember /b/ having threads like "closest ID to shrek, or some other meme, wins!" That was at most 2 threads, but I never browsed there for discussion when IDs were enabled so I'm not certain if all discussions were ruined. I haven't been on 4chan's /pol/ for a year, but while I was there I didn't see IDs do anything significant to harm the board, besides one time when someone's ID spelled out "ilikeJeb". Flags are way more harmful to a board in my opinion.

7 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-22 07:04 ID:KrakIQOz [Del]

>>6
No, it isn't about that threads being derailed by IDs, just that they have a subtle stifling effect on expression. For example, one will make a serious post in a thread and then want to make a joking post later but refrain because it wouldn't connect well with the serious post. Or the other way around. The point is, any form of forced (as in, excluding trips) continuous identity brings the tone of discussion down through making people feel less free from the oppression of identity. It also encourages people, over time, to look at an ID's contribution to a thread on the whole, rather than taking each post individually. 4-ch would be better with IDs.

8 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-22 07:05 ID:r2KdlmOR [Del]

>>7
*without IDs.

9 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-22 07:16 ID:Heaven [Del]

>>7
If you want to make an unserious post and have it unconnected with IDs, then you can just put sage in the email field and your ID will be 'Heaven' instead.

10 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-22 14:39 ID:iXPXW4yj [Del]

>>7
>>9
Conflicting, I agree with both of you.. I could see trips dampening a conversation, then again I change IPs with almost every post so I don't believe this effects me a lot.

Is anybody actually in favor of IDs?

11 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-22 18:14 ID:sdUt3sBW [Del]

I'd take a leaf from DQN, if there's ever a board specifically not for serious discussion then make it ID free. I don't really see it being a problem otherwise since you can hide your ID with, encouraging people who make content-free posts to not bump a thread. But if they're removed I won't complain.

12 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 07:18 ID:r2KdlmOR [Del]

>>11
On the other hand I will complain if they are not removed.

Also, there is no need for CAPTCHA, you can easily stop bots and spammers through other means.

13 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 08:01 ID:QqBHDV8F [Del]

>>12
Do tell.

14 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 19:26 ID:8oXN5THr [Del]

>>13
Noarchive, time limits between posts, hidden fields, flood-detection. That's all that a small board needs, it gets rid of the commercial spam and lazy bot flooding which is all that is really needed.

15 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 20:54 ID:ElSWQo0G [Del]

>>14

>hidden fields

This is already implemented in Kareha as of the 3.1.0 release http://wakaba.c3.cx/sup/kareha.pl/1147827142/

I don't know about anything else, since I haven't looked into Kareha's documentation. I'd say that it would be important to not allow exact duplicates of threads to be created. It also might be a good idea to have an "Are You Sure You Want To Make This Thread?" and it shows links to existing threads that contain keywords (ones that are not the, and, or, but, etc.) of the thread they are making.

Also testing something >>r6 >>q14

16 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 21:49 ID:7cZNz4w6 [Del]

>>15
Yeah I guess all the site really needs is some sort of flood protection and then captchas could be removed.

17 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 21:52 ID:7cZNz4w6 [Del]

Wow no captchas this is pretty neat-o

18 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-24 21:53 ID:7cZNz4w6 [Del]

I can make so many posts

19 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-25 06:47 ID:Heaven

Doop, doop, IDs again.

20 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-25 08:12 ID:Heaven

>>19
Any reason behind turning it back on? I don't actually care either way.

21 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-25 09:08 ID:r2KdlmOR

Turn off the IDs >:(

22 Name: FBI Agent : 2017-02-25 19:39 ID:Heaven

I'm watching you r2KdlmOR!

23 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-25 21:10 ID:7cZNz4w6

>>20
Trying to figure out what's the best combination of garbage. I'll probably turn it back off in a few hours.

24 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-26 02:35

>>21
Sir, yes sir.

25 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-26 14:24

There is nothing wrong with IDs. Why you bully IDs?

26 Name: s6 !gSDzoCSj3A : 2017-02-26 15:57

>>25
I'll enable and disable them periodically. Sometimes it's nice not to have them, less shit on screen.

27 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-26 15:57

>>26
Woops didn't know the name field was filled in, oh well.

28 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-26 21:14

>>27
Another reason to allow post deletion for a short time after a post is made. Also you were answering as the mod/owner of this place so it should be okay.

29 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-26 21:16

>>25
IDs are just annoying. Tripcodes were developed to meet the needs of those who are addicted to continuous identity. For those who need total immersion in identity, there are forums or even real life talk-fests. On these boards every post should stand alone, divorced from the meaninglessness of context, so that it can be judged on the ideas put forward alone. I mean, it is obvious that accounts and usernames are a superior form of ID, so why stop at IDs instead of implementing usernames? It is nonsensical.

30 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 01:41

Why stop there? If you truly want posts to stand alone they should not have numbers because to reference them is to add meaningless context. To add a date will contextualize the posts even more. Posts should stand divorced from time and even to a point, language. Why not go a step further and remove threads because that just adds more useless context. Ordering is a context to, so there should be a single page that displays each post in a random order when you visit it. The posts that you remember after reading from the aforementioned bbs described will truly stand the test of time.
Something relevant my timeless masters once said:
I have adopted a functionalist philosophy. Life, then, is the remaining ability to influence others who have the same ability. Which is a fully circular definition, and therefore invalid, unless you accept that you yourself are alive. If you don't, then life is meaningless. Just like real life.

The meaning of being a true dead poet is from postmodernism, and in particular the movie Dead Poets Society. Postmodernist literary criticism has as dogma that the author is dead. This means that Word of God, as defined by TV Tropes, does not count, and any work must stand and be interpreted by its own content within its own context. Asking the author is invalid, and besides (in the words of Kris Straub): How would the artist know what his or her work mean? That's what critics are for.

This is but one aspect of dead poetry: That our posts stand by themselves, indepenent of the author. Anyone can claim or reject ownership; the posts have to be interpreted by their own content, not by who wrote them.
The other aspect is that dead poets are beyond criticism. Talking to a living author may (or may not) reveal that the profound mystical insights really are profane and banal. With a dead poet, and every dead person in general, every remaining word is beyond approach (if not reproach).

We are immune to criticism, cape or no capes; we let anonymity be our terribly comfortable mask, and whosoever feels the sting of our hidden blades is no innocent.

TL;DR: Read my works, þe mighty, and bow to me!

31 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 03:54

>>30
Ya OK..

32 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 06:54

>>30
Shamefully, your timeless masters neglected to explain to you the finer points of posts and context. Posts should be divorced from context that is irrelevant to the ideas put forward in the post. Clearly, the post times and order of the thread are not irrelevant contexts. Further to that, postmodernism has, of course, been thoroughly debunked, so I'm not sure what your masters were going for there.

33 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 07:53

I'll certainly conceded that I was making a hyperbole. Although there is a place that fits everything I stated (it even rotates text that you submit), it is not very popular for obvious reasons; the post cap looks like it's around 10. It almost looks like a guestbook -- sadly tablecat are down and I can't think of any place that has one.

I will challenge your assertion that post timers are necessary context though, DQN has dates that make it difficult to tell a precise time, even though you can tell if a post is really old. Sageru does just fine without dates. The bare minimum contexts you need for a bbs are:
  • Some way of organizing posts, this can be hiarchical in the form of threads or it could use a search and tagging system for each post. Yes, you could have a BBS that sorts posts with tags that does not have a thread or general topic at all. Twitter is more or less a BBS of the latter form, albeit radically different than the kind we are talking about.
  • A way of ordering posts. While commonly using time as a factor, you don't actually need to know the specific time that each post was made at for post ordering to work. Take treechan which indicates the order of posts in a unique way. A reply to a post is necessarily younger than the post it replies to but the user doesn't need to know the age of any of the other posts. For instance if A replies to B and B replies to C and D replies to C, we know that A is younger than B and C but we don't know and don't need to know that about D. Although due to the specifics of that BBS some of the newest "leafs" are greener than older leafs, but it doesn't have to be that way.
    Now I will say that if you have something like a current events, news board, airing anime/tv shows or comics etc. it might be helpful to have dates on every post but that's simply something the owner of the BBS has to decide. Dates are not that relevant in contexts where the discussion is mainly about non-current events/media.
  • 34 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 20:59

>>33
    I feel as though times/dates are useful enough. Not at all required, but they help inform users of activity.

If people are responding within 5 minute intervals, you know to check back every 5 minutes or so. If a thread is only getting one post a day, you know to check back once a day. Not the MOST USEFUL information, and it's not needed, but I like it.

35 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 21:03

>>34
    Like I said, it's up to the owner of each BBS to decide what is and isn't on their BBS.

36 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-27 21:12

>>35
    Absolutely.

37 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-28 03:24

>>35
    Isn't that fascist? Whatever happened to power to the people....? :/

38 Name: Anonymous : 2017-02-28 07:39

>>37
    A good fascist dictator listens to their people. Besides it's more like companies competing to have you post on their site, since you can freely leave to other BBSes.

39 Name: Anonymous : 2017-03-01 09:45

I think the sage option is a little broken, when I had "wise sage" in the field it didn't bump a thread I posted in.

40 Name: Anonymous : 2017-03-02 01:38

>>39
    Thus working as intended?

41 Name: Anonymous : 2017-03-02 04:13

I thought it was supposed to work only if there was just "sage" in the field. Maybe it does it if there's "sage" as a separate word.

42 Name: Anonymous : 2017-03-02 04:13

Trying again to test.

43 Name: Anonymous : 2017-03-02 04:15

I guess I was right. I'll have to put an invisible character in the middle of "sage" if I want to post as normal.

44 Name: Anonymous : 2017-03-02 04:19

>>43
    Making you evermore wise.

45 Name: Mahatma : 2017-03-02 11:04

*Nods quietly
    Name: Link:
    Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
    More options...
    Verification: