1984 (4)

1 Name: Anonymous : 2017-05-30 18:41

Reading 1984 and it seems relevant to 26ch discussion, how many of you have read it? It's quite an interesting read and concept, I'm only about half-way done as of yet. Surprisingly it was never a part of the reading at my high schools.

I thought the concept of Middle class overthrowing the upper class, and the lower class just wanting pure equality to be interesting and applicable in modern times.

2 Name: Anonymous : 2017-05-30 20:32

I had to read it for high school a few years ago. It's interesting and relevant to modern society, especially when it comes to class attitudes. Winston's progression of knowledge concerning his government and the political climate seems like that of a halfchan /x/ poster.

3 Name: Anonymous : 2017-05-31 13:01

26ch Verification = totalitarian
Goatfinger thread deletion = alt-left fascist state

4 Name: Anonymous : 2017-05-31 23:40

It's poorly written in terms of prose, but the plot is interesting and well-paced. It's kind of a shame, because he has much better books (keep the apidistra flying, Road to Wigan Pier) but they are mostly unread. At his best, Orwell is like a non-crazy Kafka, very similar and evocative writing styles.

>lower class just wanting pure equality

This is probably the essence of Orwell's social view and why he is not discussed much except for his 2 vaguest books. Equality has always been concerned with destroying the ability of a person to feel pride or achieve anything personal because that would make things unequal. It is a powerful form of tyranny because it ensures that the best of a generation are suppressed and abused to make sure they don't outperform the worst.

Essentially, equality requires the masses to be riled up into resentment against people who are clever, pretty, wealthy, etc. and drag them down through violence and sabotage. This of course ensures that the best of the masses will never reach their potential and thus never challenge even the worst of the controlling class.

The spirit of the enlightenment gave way to a new divide between who was highly educated and who wasn't and hat gave rise to the new 'subtle tyranny' of weakening the potential (bad education, broken families, bad food, etc.) of the masses to solidify a ruling class based on propaganda not direct violence.

Name: Link:
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
More options...
Verification: